Table of Contents
Matt Lauer net worth in 2023 is estimated to be around $80 million. This is a significant drop from his previous net worth of $120-$150 million before the scandal that led to his firing from NBC’s “The Today Show” in 2017.
Matt Lauer is an acquainted face to many as the lengthy-time co-anchor of NBC’s The Today Show. With a profession spanning over 30 years, Lauer has collected pretty a fortune over time. But what exactly is Matt Lauer’s net really worth? And where does his money come from? This article will take a deep dive into Matt Lauer net really worth and provide the whole lot you need to realize.
Who is Matt Lauer?
Matt Lauer served as co-anchor of The Today Show for almost two years earlier than his dismissal from NBC in 2017 amidst sexual misconduct allegations. At the height of his career, Lauer was one of the maximum-paid personalities on TV, earning an annual revenue of $25 million. Over the course of his expansive career, Lauer gathered an anticipated net really worth of $80 million.
Early Life and Career
Matthew Todd Lauer was born on December 30, 1957, in New York City. He studied at Ohio University, majoring in telecommunications. During his time in college, Lauer hosted a talk show on the school’s cable station. After graduating in 1979, Lauer started his career in television as a producer of noon news broadcasts in Richmond, Virginia.
In the 1980s, Lauer hosted a number of television shows including PM Magazine. He also served as a substitute anchor on the local CBS affiliates. This early exposure helped Lauer hone his on-camera skills and set him on the path to larger markets.
Time at NBC and The Today Show
Lauer joined NBC in 1992 as a newsreader on The Today Show. He was named official co-anchor of the popular morning show in 1997, replacing longtime host Bryant Gumbel. Lauer quickly became a fixture of American television, starting each weekday morning with his trademark “Good morning!”
He co-anchored The Today Show with Katie Couric from 1997 to 2006, and later with Meredith Vieira and Savannah Guthrie. At his peak, Lauer earned $25 million in step within 12 months and became one of the highest-paid media personalities on TV.
During his time at The Today Show, Lauer amassed a personal fortune of an estimated $80 million. Here’s a breakdown of Matt Lauer net worth:
- Annual salary at NBC: $25 million per year at his peak. Over 20+ years this added up to massive earnings.
- Real estate: Lauer owns luxury homes in the Hamptons, New York City, and New Zealand worth over $45 million total.
- Investments: Lauer invested his NBC salary wisely over the decades and has an extensive investment portfolio.
- Divorce settlement: Lauer paid an estimated $20 million divorce settlement to ex-wife Annette Roque in 2019.
Even after his firing from NBC and costly divorce, Lauer still has an estimated net worth of around $80 million. His lucrative salary at NBC and savvy investments have allowed him to maintain his lavish lifestyle.
Sources of Income
There are a few main sources responsible for Matt Lauer net worth:
- His annual salary at NBC made up the bulk of his earnings, estimated at $25 million at his peak. This salary accumulated over 20+ years, allowing Lauer to amass his fortune.
- Real estate is another major source of wealth. Lauer owns multi-million dollar properties in desirable locations.
- Syndication deals and appearances – Since leaving NBC, Lauer has earned income through deals related to his media brand.
- Investments – Lauer invested his earnings over the years in stocks, businesses, etc. These provide additional income streams.
The combination of high annual salary, real estate holdings, investments, and media deals explains how Lauer accrued his $80 million personal fortune.
Lauer owns luxury homes worth millions across the United States and New Zealand. His real estate portfolio includes:
- $36.5 million estate in Hamptons: This 12-bedroom oceanfront mansion in Sag Harbor, New York has been Lauer’s primary residence for over 20 years.
- New York City apartment: Lauer owns a $7 million apartment in Manhattan’s Upper East Side.
- $9 million ranch in New Zealand: Lauer owns a massive sheep and cattle ranch on New Zealand’s south island, used as a vacation getaway.
Lauer’s affinity for multi-million dollar homes has been a major factor contributing to his high net worth. The valuable real estate also provides a source of income if he were to sell.
Matt Lauer net worth and Biography Table:
|Matt Lauer||Net Worth||$80 million|
|Matt Lauer||Biography||Complete biography|
|Matt Lauer||Spouse||Annette Roque (divorced)|
|Matt Lauer||Children||Jack, Romy, and Thijs|
|Matt Lauer||Education||Ohio University (attended)|
|Matt Lauer||Occupation||Journalist, television host|
|Matt Lauer||Known for||The Today Show|
After his firing from NBC in 2017, Lauer endured another financial hit – his divorce settlement. He separated from his wife Annette Roque after nearly 20 years of marriage.
The divorce settlement in 2019 stipulated that Lauer must pay Roque a one-time lump sum of $20 million. This massive payment cut into Matt Lauer net worth, but his fortune remains intact.
The settlement granted Roque ownership of the couple’s Hamptons estate and horse farm. Lauer retained the New York apartment and New Zealand ranch. Great post to read jensen ackles height.
Lauer has donated quantities of his fortune to diverse charitable reasons through the years. Some of his philanthropic endeavors consist of:
- Established a scholarship program at his alma mater Ohio University that provides over $75,000 annually to students
- Donating $500,000 to an initiative providing service dogs for military veterans
- Participating in media campaigns for Autism Speaks, Feeding America, and UNICEF charities
Despite past controversies, Lauer has made an effort to contribute some of his wealth toward philanthropic endeavors. This displays his willingness to use his fortune for positive change.
With a career spanning over 30 years in broadcast television, Matt Lauer accrued an enormous net worth of $80 million. His high annual salary at NBC, savvy investments, real estate holdings, and divorce settlement all shaped his current financial status. Despite departing NBC under controversy, Lauer has maintained financial security through wise money management that will sustain him for decades to come. His story provides perspective into how long-term lucrative contracts and investing in assets like real estate can grow a fortune over time.
FAQs About Matt Lauer Net Worth
What is Matt Lauer net worth?
Matt Lauer net worth is predicted to be around $80 million. At his peak, he earned $25 million per year as host of The Today Show. His internet worth comes from his NBC income, real property holdings, investments, and other enterprise endeavors.
What happened to Matt Lauer?
Matt Lauer was fired from NBC and The Today Show in November 2017 after allegations of sexual misconduct in their place of work. An inner investigation exposed multiple accusations against Lauer going lower back years.
How much did Matt Lauer get paid on The Today Show?
At his peak, Lauer earned around $25 million per year hosting The Today Show. He signed lucrative contracts over his 20+ year tenure that made him one of the highest-paid personalities on television.
Is Matt Lauer still married?
No, Lauer divorced his wife Annette Roque in 2019 after being separated since 2017. The divorce settlement cost Lauer approximately $20 million.
Does Matt Lauer still have a job?
No, Lauer has not returned to a steady on-air job since his 2017 termination from NBC. He has made sporadic media appearances and interviews relating to past controversies. Lauer has invested in some media entities but remains mostly out of the public eye.